Why Choose Dr. Wakter?
- 30+ Years of Experience
- Graduated Cum Laude from the Faculty of Dentistry at the McGill University
• Guided Implant Surgery utilizing 3D Technology
• Cosmetic Dentistry
• Full Mouth Restorations
- Performing Invisalign Treatment for 10 Years
What are Dentures?
Dentures are a set of artificial teeth used when a patient has lost real teeth.
Patients lose their teeth to a variety of reasons. including:
- Severe malnutrition
- Genetic defects
- Poor oral hygiene
The Denture Procedure
There are several types of dentures available:
- Removable partial dentures are for patients who are missing some but not all of their teeth.
- Fixed partial dentures (also known as permanent bridges) are made from crowns that are fitted on the remaining natural teeth as well as synthetic materials that are sculpted to resemble teeth.
- Complete dentures or full dentures are for patients who are missing all their upper and/or lower teeth.
Please note that dentures can now be stabilized with an implant procedure, bringing more comfort and better chewing ability to the denture wearer.
The Benefits of Dentures
There are many different benefits to choosing dentures if you have lost a significant number of your teeth, in addition to improved chewing and speaking abilities. Your teeth help your facial muscles remain intact, and any tooth loss results in a loosening of these muscles, making one look older. Dentures will function like real teeth at maintaining proper facial structure, instantly providing you with a more youthful look.
In addition to an improved aesthetic appeal, dentures can also prevent further damage to any existing teeth. Without added support, these teeth will automatically attempt to compensate for the loss of neighbouring teeth and subsequently become misaligned. This could lead to serious dental problems, including facial bone decline.
Finally, today’s dentures are made to resemble your natural teeth and gums precisely, in both structure and appearance. As a result, no one will ever be able to tell that you have had any restorative work done on your smile – it will be as if the artificial teeth are all your own!
Contact our Ottawa, ON, dental clinic today to schedule an appointment if you are considering dentures.